Looking back gives me hope for what lies ahead.

“Our power lies in our small daily choices, one after another, to create eternal ripples of a life well lived.” 
― Mollie Marti

Almost a year ago I somewhat blindly and maybe even a bit naively stepped on a plane bound for Israel. I'd never been here before but made the decision to study and live here for a year. I came with an open mind and heart knowing that through this journey my life would be changed. As I sit in reflection now as the time drawers nearer to my departure my foresight about this year here was absolutely right. It has been an amazing year with amazing lessons, growth, experiences and most of all people.

I am so grateful for this experience and for the people I met and shared this with. I am grateful for my family and friends who supported my decision, though at first may have been a bit apprehensive of such a move. I am grateful for the friends that came to visit and share in this journey with me. It was so amazing to share this place with my friends from home. I am especially grateful that my mum was able to visit last week. She was able to be here for my graduation and experience a little bit of my life here in Israel. I am grateful for her unending love and support. Undoubtedly this experience would not have been the same had it not been for the people I've met while living here. 

I have had both good and bad experiences with people here, but overall this has been great and I've met and made some amazing friends. I made friends through my master's program, but I also made amazing friends through lacrosse. So much has happened in this period.

I moved to a country I'd never been to, lived with people I'd never met, joined a master's program with a dynamic group of people, worked at an internship helping African refugees, and joined the 1st ever Israel National Lacrosse team. All in all I'd say I've had a pretty busy year. This year has been more than I could have ever imagined it'd be and to think that I just stumbled upon this opportunity and took the biggest leap of faith to be here. 

The most prominent word that comes to mind when I reflect on the past year is gratitude. There were times right before I moved here that I wasn't sure it'd all really work out and I'd be able to come, but through it all I kept believing that this was where I was meant to be and everything would work out. I was right. I was meant to be here this year to grow and challenge myself. To learn humility, to find my strength, to discover more of who I am, and to rediscover and define happiness for myself. I have learned to be appreciative not only for my life, but also of the people in it. I have learned to accept myself and to be ok with where I am in life. It's ok to not have a plan and live up to other people's expectations so long as I'm happy. I learned, I had fun, I laughed, I cried, I met great people and for all of it I am so grateful. 

Israel will forever have a special place in my heart. The thought of leaving and saying goodbye is so difficult. This year has been a true testament to "ask and you shall receive". I asked for a trip to Israel as a graduation present and I got so much more, being able to live and learn here has been amazing. I don't know what is next, I don't have a job, and there is no plan, but just like with this experience, I believe that greatness will continue and whatever comes next will be amazing! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day!

C'est la vie in Tel Aviv!

Stress Kills!