My baby sister is 18!!!
I've been awful at keeping up with my blog this year. And every time I chastise myself for neglecting my blog I say I'll write a post and I haven't. Today seems as good a time as any to begin blogging again.
I'd like to invite you all to share in a very special occasion for me and my family. My little sister's 18th birthday. This is a shareable moment because to know me is to know Kennedy! You may know me and you've never met Kennedy, but I bet you feel like you know her too because I'm always talking about my little sister. So if you see her today or you're her friend on Facebook show her some love today! She's 18! And for all of us who remember our 18th birthday we remember how precious that milestone is. You're officially an adult, according to the law anyway.
18 is filled with promise, potential, and great excitement! And for my sister I wish for all of her dreams to come true, all of her promise and potential maximized, and a day filled with love!
It's hard for me to believe you're 18 already. I remember the day you were born like it was yesterday. I refused to miss a minute of it. I was there for everyone of the 3 trips we made to the hospital, in anticipation of your arrival; I refused to go home until you were born. I slept in that hospital over night because I didn't wanna miss anything. 9:30am on July, 30th, 1995 was one of the singular most exciting moments of my childhood. I couldn't wait to find out if you were a boy or a girl. I remember nurse Brown taunting me when she finally brought you out of the OR and making me wait in agony, for what seemed like forever, before telling me you were a girl.
As little sisters go Kennedy is pretty standard, she gets away with way more than I was able to, she annoys me, she thinks I'm a money tree, she borrows things and doesn't return them, and now that she has a license she always needs the car. But, in many other ways she is uniquely Kennedy, she's always had a strong conviction, she doesn't take crap, she's creative and artistic, she is a leader, you can't get her to do anything she doesn't wanna do. She knows who she is and she doesn't apologize for anything, if you can't accept her as she is she isn't going to keep you around. She's a pretty tough cookie if you ask me. In some ways that is, she is a big baby sometimes too.
But if you know Kennedy it's hard not to be sucked in by her, she has a way of doing that to people. She's a pretty cool chick in her own way, a great young woman, and I'm proud to be related to her. I'm so happy I was able to share the past 18 years with you and I can't wait to see what the future has in store for the next 18. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

Comments
Post a Comment