New Year, New Plan

Happy New Year Y'all!
So, I've never been much for New Year's Resolutions. It's not that I don't believe in planning and goal setting, I just never stick to resolutions, so I stopped coming up with them. Last month, however, I had an experience that sort of shook me I guess, and I realized that I needed to try something else, I had to get out of my routine. A lil' kick in the butt, wake up call if you will. So I started thinking about realistic goals, things I really wanted to focus my energy on in the new year. 

I usually buy a planner every year, but I never really use it to its full potential, but I decided I need to get a planner and really maximize my use of it. I did a bit of research and ended up ordering a Bloom Planner. I really like it, A) because it offers space in the front to write down your goals, and lay out how you plan to achieve them, and a space to check them off, and at the back, a place to note at the end of the year what you achieved; and B) it wasn't costly! 

The first week of the year was planning and restorative care, I guess.  I spent time planning, thinking, reflecting and relaxing in my alone time, and then I hit it hard last week. I planned out my workouts and stuck to them. One of my goals is to strengthen my ankle, after my injury, increase my flexibility and increase my core strength. Due to my injury my workout routine has been stifled and I'm still experiencing some pain, so I decided this year I'd try to focus on my yoga practice more, and not rely on the gym so much. I've throughly enjoyed getting back into my yoga practice, I've been feeling more relaxed, sleeping better, and generally happier. Endorphin high!!! :)

Another of my goals is to learn to cook Bahamian cuisine. I cook a lot, but I don't really make native dishes. Growing up my grandmother did most of the cooking and she didn't really let us in the kitchen with her much. I used to joke that it's ok that I don't know how to make Bahamian dishes, because when I get married we'd just alternate between our mothers for Sunday dinners. LOL! Well as I get older and reality sinks in, I must've accepted that it's possible my husband will not be Bahamian. I asked my aunt during the holidays if we could start cooking lessons and she graciously said yes! I'm so excited! 

I've sort of mastered Bahamian dessert it seems, I've been making a lot of rum cake lately. I got my great aunt's recipe and have been practicing it over the past month or so and have gotten lots of positive reviews. Time to get into the food!!

So this weekend I'm having my first lesson with my auntie AND I'm having a lesson with a chef friend of mine! There's a new cooking studio called Goombay House that recently opened and they offer a Sunday Brunch session so I'm going to that! I mean working on a 2019 goal, good food, plus mimosas, how could a girl say "No" to that?!

I hope everyone's 2019 is off to a positive start, and if it isn't I hope this gives you a little inspiration to set some realistic goals and get started on achieving them. Maybe I'll reveal some more of my goals as the year progresses, but just know that 2019 is off to a good start and this chick is rooting for you to kickstart your year too! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day!

C'est la vie in Tel Aviv!

Stress Kills!