Tel Aviv's ugly side
Well I've been living here a while now, and mostly I've written quite positive things about my experiences here, but I don't want to be biased. There is definitely a dark and ugly side of life here. A side that gets very little global news coverage, but a burgeoning issue here. I think I've mentioned before that there is a growing African refugee and asylum seeking population here and that they aren't treated very well. Well in recent weeks the news has been flooded with stories regarding this issue. The refugee population is the one that I work with for my internship so it's definitely an issue that I am forced to pay attention to. But not only that, I am a black girl in this city that is not a refugee, but with all of the tension between the refugees and the Israelis, the recent acts of violence, etc it is now a real concern of mine to be accidently caught in a dangerous situation that will only ensue solely because of my skin color.
I am in South Tel Aviv at least on a weekly basis if not more and in recent weeks there have been increased attacks on the homes of refugees. There have been molotov cocktails thrown into people's homes, while they are asleep inside. See this news article. http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/molotov-cocktails-thrown-at-homes-of-african-refugees-in-south-tel-aviv-1.426877 Thankfully in this instance nobody was hurt, but residents are taking very drastic measures, and the law into their own hands to "rid themselves of this problem".
They want the refugees and asylum seekers gone because they see them as criminals. There have been so many reports recently blaming the refugee population for an increase in criminal activity in the city. Members of the Israeli Parliment (Knesset) have even publicly stated that the refugees are criminals, they need to be imprisoned and deported. However obviously these accusations are baseless and another scenario of blaming the masses for indiscretions of the the few. Yes I am sure that there are some members of the refugee populations that have committed crimes, this is true of any population anywhere in the world. Yes there are women being raped, this week alone I met with 2 of these victims, but even still you cannot blame thousands of people for what only a few people are doing. Not every refugee or asylum seeker is a criminal. Here's another news article making the same point. http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/yishai-s-double-standard-over-african-refugees-and-the-ultra-orthodox-1.431112
These men and women arrive in Israel to flee some horrific situations. They don't live very well here, but they keep flocking here, so this must be better than their previous existence. To deport and send these refugees/asylum seekers back to their home countries, puts their lives at extreme risk. If they're returned home the vast majority of them will be killed or harmed upon return. Yet in recent weeks there has been increased violence and protests against this population to have them deported.
This past week there was a protest with about 1,000 people and of course it turned violent. People were rioting, assault, looting, etc. There were people chanting that they want the Africans to be burned. There's a pretty dark and angry scene developing here around this issue. Here are some pictures from the night of attacks. http://www.flickr.com/photos/activestills/7258895076/in/set-72157629868932674/
Racism is alive and well. Tel Aviv is experiencing it's on mini version of race riots of America in the 1960s. The refugees feel exploited, they aren't give basic rights here, and they are fearful of their safety in their own homes. They are being shunned to the ghettos and the news spreads racially disparaging propaganda about them. Here is an African migrant's story of his experiences here. http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/an-african-migrant-s-plea-for-a-few-basic-rights-1.432436
Here's another jarring image... a woman wearing a shirt saying death to Sudanese. http://raselas.tumblr.com/post/23825097684/afternoonsnoozebutton-warofvisions-an
I live here, I am here legally, but the fact that I am black walking the streets of South Tel Aviv could be a dangerous situation for me. At this point there is no question that things will get more violent, it's a matter of when will it happen. The thought of being hurt or attacked in some way just because of my skin color is hard to wrap my head around in 2012. I guess I've just unveiled the ugly side of living here. The issue that I've tread lightly on before, I've finally released.
This has definitely been a big part of my experience here, but one I've not known how to fully express. Being this close to such blatant racism truly puts life into perspective and makes me so appreciative for where I come from and the life experiences I've had. I definitely don't want anyone thinking that all Israelis are racist, do not lump them all together just as I encourage them not lump all refugees together. It is however a real and prevalent issue here. An issue that I don't think will be resolved in the immediate future, but one that I can only hope does come to some peaceful resolution as soon as possible.
I am in South Tel Aviv at least on a weekly basis if not more and in recent weeks there have been increased attacks on the homes of refugees. There have been molotov cocktails thrown into people's homes, while they are asleep inside. See this news article. http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/molotov-cocktails-thrown-at-homes-of-african-refugees-in-south-tel-aviv-1.426877 Thankfully in this instance nobody was hurt, but residents are taking very drastic measures, and the law into their own hands to "rid themselves of this problem".
They want the refugees and asylum seekers gone because they see them as criminals. There have been so many reports recently blaming the refugee population for an increase in criminal activity in the city. Members of the Israeli Parliment (Knesset) have even publicly stated that the refugees are criminals, they need to be imprisoned and deported. However obviously these accusations are baseless and another scenario of blaming the masses for indiscretions of the the few. Yes I am sure that there are some members of the refugee populations that have committed crimes, this is true of any population anywhere in the world. Yes there are women being raped, this week alone I met with 2 of these victims, but even still you cannot blame thousands of people for what only a few people are doing. Not every refugee or asylum seeker is a criminal. Here's another news article making the same point. http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/yishai-s-double-standard-over-african-refugees-and-the-ultra-orthodox-1.431112
These men and women arrive in Israel to flee some horrific situations. They don't live very well here, but they keep flocking here, so this must be better than their previous existence. To deport and send these refugees/asylum seekers back to their home countries, puts their lives at extreme risk. If they're returned home the vast majority of them will be killed or harmed upon return. Yet in recent weeks there has been increased violence and protests against this population to have them deported.
This past week there was a protest with about 1,000 people and of course it turned violent. People were rioting, assault, looting, etc. There were people chanting that they want the Africans to be burned. There's a pretty dark and angry scene developing here around this issue. Here are some pictures from the night of attacks. http://www.flickr.com/photos/activestills/7258895076/in/set-72157629868932674/
Racism is alive and well. Tel Aviv is experiencing it's on mini version of race riots of America in the 1960s. The refugees feel exploited, they aren't give basic rights here, and they are fearful of their safety in their own homes. They are being shunned to the ghettos and the news spreads racially disparaging propaganda about them. Here is an African migrant's story of his experiences here. http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/an-african-migrant-s-plea-for-a-few-basic-rights-1.432436
Here's another jarring image... a woman wearing a shirt saying death to Sudanese. http://raselas.tumblr.com/post/23825097684/afternoonsnoozebutton-warofvisions-an
I live here, I am here legally, but the fact that I am black walking the streets of South Tel Aviv could be a dangerous situation for me. At this point there is no question that things will get more violent, it's a matter of when will it happen. The thought of being hurt or attacked in some way just because of my skin color is hard to wrap my head around in 2012. I guess I've just unveiled the ugly side of living here. The issue that I've tread lightly on before, I've finally released.
This has definitely been a big part of my experience here, but one I've not known how to fully express. Being this close to such blatant racism truly puts life into perspective and makes me so appreciative for where I come from and the life experiences I've had. I definitely don't want anyone thinking that all Israelis are racist, do not lump them all together just as I encourage them not lump all refugees together. It is however a real and prevalent issue here. An issue that I don't think will be resolved in the immediate future, but one that I can only hope does come to some peaceful resolution as soon as possible.
Comments
Post a Comment