Is being gay really the worst a person can be?!

I don't like politics and I rarely make public statements about political/social issues, I usually work on my own personal causes for social matters that I care about more quietly and in my own capacity. But I woke up this morning with this on my brain so I had to let it out. I guess mainly because the past 2 days my Facebook newsfeed has been filled with posts on the topic of gay rights. 

I know this is a touchy subject, which is probably why it's on my mind. So I will go ahead and make this disclaimer upfront, this is my blog with my opinions and if you don't like it don't read. However just as you believe that you have the right to spread your judgmental, hateful, and disparaging message I believe I have the right to share my piece too.


Now I am not gay, I grew up in a very conservative family, but I try not let what other people believe control my beliefs. Some may find it odd that I am choosing this issue to speak out about given that I'm not gay. I guess it's because I do not care if a person is gay or straight, I care if they are a good human being. Being gay or straight in my eyes is not a determinant of whether you're a good human or not. Sexual orientation doesn't make you a murderer, thief, war criminal, or any other number of awful acts of cruelty people commit. So I am sick of people making a big deal about if someone is gay or not. Be who you are and be happy that's all. I don't care what people do in their bedrooms. I don't push my heterosexuality on anyone and so long as nobody is pushing their homosexuality on to me or their religious beliefs or their political stances, I don't mind. Be open be you, because that's how I am. 


I do not think that being gay is the worst way one can identify a person. There are far worst in my mind, a murder, rapist, child molester, the list could go on. And what's worse these other immoral, cruel people have the right to get married, but not gay people. So why is it that people feel so sensitive about gay people and their right to marry? How does what someone does sexually affect you living your life? They're human just like you, but some how the very people who say they believe in God think that it is their right to "save us all" from the wrath that is equal rights for gay people?! How are you different from the racists that we speak out about and had a civil uprising about? It's all prejudice. You are denying people rights based on a bit of their character that they cannot change. Nobody chooses to be gay. Why the heck would you choose to be gay to have to live in a world of judgment and hate? Why would anyone choose to have less rights and to be ostracized?  To make matters worse you back up your argument with GOD! God who is by the very essence, non-judgmental, loving and accepting of all. How are you then GODLY and doing GOD's work by spreading hate?! 


I may not be the most religious person and I do not claim to know every letter of the bible, but I know for damn sure that judgment and HATE are NOT tolerated in the bible. Also why is this sin so much worse than all the others? Are the people that are so judgmental without sin? I highly doubt it. So why do you think you have the right to judge when you are more than likely a sinner yourself?! I am not trying to force my beliefs on anyone, but all I am saying is your sins are no better than the sexually immoral, there isn't a hierarchy of sin. Sin is sin so until you are completely sinless yourself maybe you should stop judging and trying to define other people's lives.


So me as a "bastard child" born out of wedlock to an unwed mother and a father that is married doesn't give me the the right to deny anyone rights based on the fact that their sexual orientation is a sin. I may or may not agree with a lot of things people do, but that does not give me the right to deny them basic rights because I've judged that what they're doing is wrong. There are lots of sins and sinful people in the world, but they still have basic rights. So if you're going to deny people rights based on sin then wouldn't there be a lot more people being denied a lot of basic rights? Sin is sin and if you believe in God, everyone has to face God and their sins individually so you as man doesn't get to choose the rights of others when you're a sinner yourself. 


Call me naive, call me whatever you want, but I sleep well at night because I am happy with myself and my life. Why does being gay bother you so much? What does it say about you that you're so upset and up in arms about a person's sexual orientation? Some of you won't even be this vocal about failing school systems, murder, sexual abuse, real social ills, but you invest energy hating people based on something they can't change. Maybe you should invest some of your energy into real problems that truly affect lives, 'cause in case you hadn't noticed there are many people doing really grotesque things in this world. Your energy would be better spent fighting those causes than denying people marriage rights. The last time I checked there were many heterosexual "Christian" people doing a pretty damn good job of destroying the "sanctity" of marriage. They're just asking for the same legal rights of married people. You don't have to marry them in your church if you don't want to. 


I wonder if these people that are anti-gay rights know gay people, as in close friends/family members? I wonder if they could tell them to their face, "you are less of a human being than me because you are gay"? Are any of them really bold enough to do this? I guess the ones who disown their children for being gay are, but really how is neglecting and dishonoring your child anymore godly than hate and judgment?!


Ok I think I have sufficiently expressed my self for now, now maybe I can fall back to sleep. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day!

C'est la vie in Tel Aviv!

Stress Kills!