Positivity is Contagious!
So remember how when I first started this blog I said this move was going to be a positive journey for me....well it has been so far. Aside from the educational experiences I'm having, I'm definitely growing personally.
My professors are pretty amazing! I have like literally some of the most renowned professors in the field of trauma. One of my professors. Dr. Roni Berger (Psychologist - child and family therapy), has been a part of teams that have worked on psycho-social interventions for some of the world's major disasters in the past decade (9/11, Hurricane Katrina, The tsunami in Asia, The earthquakes in Haiti, Japan, and Christ's Church, New Zealand, etc). Dr. Zahava Solomon, is pretty much a Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), war trauma specialist. She's written so many research articles in this area. She works with the Israeli military, and a lot of her research is focused on combat stress reaction/war traumas.
If I learn nothing this year it'll be worth it to have these sort of connections in the future. LOL We all know that a lot of our career future is based on networking. Fostering relationships with these great professionals in this field and my classmates that are interested in a vast array of areas in the field of trauma is a great networking opportunity. This experience is also opening my eyes to the fact that being a therapist is not the only capacity in which I can fulfill my dreams. It has me considering other future career options and widening my opportunities for sure.
We are taking site visits to these awesome crisis/trauma facilities around Israel as well. We went to an Emergency Children's Shelter a week and a half ago. It was so moving. Some of the things/ways people are capable of hurting children are almost unfathomable. We heard this story about a 4 year old boy and his 6 year old sister. They came to the center after their mother threw them over the balcony 4 stories in the air in attempt to kill them. She jumped too, but none of them died. She went to jail as she should have! I wish they'd have thrown away the key too! I was so angry hearing this story.
I understand the person committing these awful sins are troubled as well to even hurt these kids, but I believe adults should be protectors and though I acknowledge their need for help I can't put aside my judgements of them and what they've done. I have no interest in working with these kind of adults. We all have our limits! A person that has abused or molested a child is where I draw the line.
What also struck me is the amazing and interesting ways children cope with traumatic events. These 2 siblings had gone through this same horrific event, but both of them dealt with it completely differently. I was so shock to hear that one of the coping mechanisms for the 6 year old girl, yes I said six, was to masturbate. Not for a sexual reason/release but as a way of making her self feel good and loved. I was floored when I heard this. I'd never heard of a 6 year old masturbating before. A six year old girl at least. I am learning all kinds of new things about ways we cope and also new ways to help in these situations as well. I'd heard about play therapy before and had an interest in getting certified in this form of therapy. This center also had a sandbox that they used as part of their play therapy methods which was new and unique. Eye opening experiences!
Aside from all of these really cool educational opportunities I'm having I have definitely grown personally as well. This is my 1st time really living with other people in close proximity since high school. I had a single when I lived on campus in college, yea I had suite mates but there was minimal contact that way, plus sophomore year my suite mate was my BBF; not much issue there. After moving off campus I had an apartment on my own. I am used to my own space. I didn't have roommates for a reason. I am very particular with my personal space and belongings. I am also mildly OCD - order and balance are necessary or I have trouble focusing.
However, housing in Tel Aviv is quite expensive and it just wasn't financially possible for me to live on my own here. Living with other people has been a challenge, but I'm learning to exercise more patience than I knew I had. We all have different schedules and habits and we have to meet people where they are and learn through the process. I consider it a major achievement that I have not all out spazzed on any of my roommates at this point.
I have also been cooking much more. In Atlanta it was always cheaper for me as a single person to eat out than to go to the grocery store. Grocery stores don't really package food for single people so I found myself wasting more food than anything. So I rarely cooked. I knew how to cook a few simple meals, but didn't cook much. Eating out is actually quite expensive here so I've been forced to cook much more. I have cooked more here than in my entire life. Given that I get very bored very easily I have had to be a little more creative with meals. My sister-in-law is a really good cook, so she gave me some simple recipes before I left and I've been going online and looking up recipes for myself too. I've made alfredo sauce from scratch, my own salad dressing, made chicken meatballs for the first time yesterday. Like I said I'm getting creative.
When you move away from your friends it's always a challenge, but I'm a firm believer that in times like these is when you learn who your real friends are. I am so happy to say that most of my friends have made a concerted effort to be in touch with me very regularly. I am so happy about this. Its so much more important now that we're thousands of miles and several time zones away that we make the effort to stay connected. For the most part my friends have been really good at this. I am also happy to say that a few of them have even made definitive plans to visit. My 1st visitors arrive next week. Israel isn't exactly a short or cheap flight so it's pretty amazing that people are making an effort to come to see me. It's pretty amazing. I am a lucky girl to have good friends.
This experience has also made me undeniably proud of where I come from and appreciative of the life I lead. I am so blessed. My mum is an amazing woman. I have seen my mother work hard my entire life to make sure she could provide the best life she knew how for me. She worked hard to educate me and send me to great schools, taught me to be independent, and I always knew that my mother viewed me as her greatest responsibility and would/will do anything in her power for me and to protect me. It's not always been easy, but I know for sure I have lived a very blessed life. I have always had a roof over my head, clothes on my back, and never had to worry about what I was going to eat. I had all of my needs met and then some.
I appreciate being from the Bahamas much more. I appreciate the education I was afforded, the lifestyle I lead and the hardest working woman I know! My mum always said to me don't complain about what you have because when you think you have it bad there's always someone going something much worse. It's so true. This doesn't mean I don't complain, I do and I realize that most things I complain about are trivial in the grand scheme of things, but I'm not perfect. I will say that there is definitely a greater sense of pride and appreciation for my life now. I am finding a happier, more positive path to my life and it only confirms for me that this is a divine journey that I was meant to take. I am excited to continue it....
My professors are pretty amazing! I have like literally some of the most renowned professors in the field of trauma. One of my professors. Dr. Roni Berger (Psychologist - child and family therapy), has been a part of teams that have worked on psycho-social interventions for some of the world's major disasters in the past decade (9/11, Hurricane Katrina, The tsunami in Asia, The earthquakes in Haiti, Japan, and Christ's Church, New Zealand, etc). Dr. Zahava Solomon, is pretty much a Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), war trauma specialist. She's written so many research articles in this area. She works with the Israeli military, and a lot of her research is focused on combat stress reaction/war traumas.
If I learn nothing this year it'll be worth it to have these sort of connections in the future. LOL We all know that a lot of our career future is based on networking. Fostering relationships with these great professionals in this field and my classmates that are interested in a vast array of areas in the field of trauma is a great networking opportunity. This experience is also opening my eyes to the fact that being a therapist is not the only capacity in which I can fulfill my dreams. It has me considering other future career options and widening my opportunities for sure.
We are taking site visits to these awesome crisis/trauma facilities around Israel as well. We went to an Emergency Children's Shelter a week and a half ago. It was so moving. Some of the things/ways people are capable of hurting children are almost unfathomable. We heard this story about a 4 year old boy and his 6 year old sister. They came to the center after their mother threw them over the balcony 4 stories in the air in attempt to kill them. She jumped too, but none of them died. She went to jail as she should have! I wish they'd have thrown away the key too! I was so angry hearing this story.
I understand the person committing these awful sins are troubled as well to even hurt these kids, but I believe adults should be protectors and though I acknowledge their need for help I can't put aside my judgements of them and what they've done. I have no interest in working with these kind of adults. We all have our limits! A person that has abused or molested a child is where I draw the line.
What also struck me is the amazing and interesting ways children cope with traumatic events. These 2 siblings had gone through this same horrific event, but both of them dealt with it completely differently. I was so shock to hear that one of the coping mechanisms for the 6 year old girl, yes I said six, was to masturbate. Not for a sexual reason/release but as a way of making her self feel good and loved. I was floored when I heard this. I'd never heard of a 6 year old masturbating before. A six year old girl at least. I am learning all kinds of new things about ways we cope and also new ways to help in these situations as well. I'd heard about play therapy before and had an interest in getting certified in this form of therapy. This center also had a sandbox that they used as part of their play therapy methods which was new and unique. Eye opening experiences!
Aside from all of these really cool educational opportunities I'm having I have definitely grown personally as well. This is my 1st time really living with other people in close proximity since high school. I had a single when I lived on campus in college, yea I had suite mates but there was minimal contact that way, plus sophomore year my suite mate was my BBF; not much issue there. After moving off campus I had an apartment on my own. I am used to my own space. I didn't have roommates for a reason. I am very particular with my personal space and belongings. I am also mildly OCD - order and balance are necessary or I have trouble focusing.
However, housing in Tel Aviv is quite expensive and it just wasn't financially possible for me to live on my own here. Living with other people has been a challenge, but I'm learning to exercise more patience than I knew I had. We all have different schedules and habits and we have to meet people where they are and learn through the process. I consider it a major achievement that I have not all out spazzed on any of my roommates at this point.
I have also been cooking much more. In Atlanta it was always cheaper for me as a single person to eat out than to go to the grocery store. Grocery stores don't really package food for single people so I found myself wasting more food than anything. So I rarely cooked. I knew how to cook a few simple meals, but didn't cook much. Eating out is actually quite expensive here so I've been forced to cook much more. I have cooked more here than in my entire life. Given that I get very bored very easily I have had to be a little more creative with meals. My sister-in-law is a really good cook, so she gave me some simple recipes before I left and I've been going online and looking up recipes for myself too. I've made alfredo sauce from scratch, my own salad dressing, made chicken meatballs for the first time yesterday. Like I said I'm getting creative.
When you move away from your friends it's always a challenge, but I'm a firm believer that in times like these is when you learn who your real friends are. I am so happy to say that most of my friends have made a concerted effort to be in touch with me very regularly. I am so happy about this. Its so much more important now that we're thousands of miles and several time zones away that we make the effort to stay connected. For the most part my friends have been really good at this. I am also happy to say that a few of them have even made definitive plans to visit. My 1st visitors arrive next week. Israel isn't exactly a short or cheap flight so it's pretty amazing that people are making an effort to come to see me. It's pretty amazing. I am a lucky girl to have good friends.
This experience has also made me undeniably proud of where I come from and appreciative of the life I lead. I am so blessed. My mum is an amazing woman. I have seen my mother work hard my entire life to make sure she could provide the best life she knew how for me. She worked hard to educate me and send me to great schools, taught me to be independent, and I always knew that my mother viewed me as her greatest responsibility and would/will do anything in her power for me and to protect me. It's not always been easy, but I know for sure I have lived a very blessed life. I have always had a roof over my head, clothes on my back, and never had to worry about what I was going to eat. I had all of my needs met and then some.
I appreciate being from the Bahamas much more. I appreciate the education I was afforded, the lifestyle I lead and the hardest working woman I know! My mum always said to me don't complain about what you have because when you think you have it bad there's always someone going something much worse. It's so true. This doesn't mean I don't complain, I do and I realize that most things I complain about are trivial in the grand scheme of things, but I'm not perfect. I will say that there is definitely a greater sense of pride and appreciation for my life now. I am finding a happier, more positive path to my life and it only confirms for me that this is a divine journey that I was meant to take. I am excited to continue it....
Comments
Post a Comment