A Sense of Security
My arrival in Paris earlier this week and my connection to Tel Aviv from there, didn't disappoint. It sure did continue with the trend of my trip thus far, a little drama and frustration. It got me thinking about things from a security perspective too.
Since 9/11 air travel has completely changed around the world. Security in air travel has become more and more strict. We now have the 3-1-1 rule for liquids, gels, etc that we can carry on the plane. There are air marshalls on flights now. Increased security in airports. In Paris I even saw the military walking around the airport with M-16s.
In Paris I got off my American Airlines flight and had to go check in with El Al (the Israeli airline). The counter was surrounded by soldiers with guns. This was kinda weird. No other counter in the airport had this.
I was flagged by El Al again so they questioned me at the counter when I went to check in and then they had to search me again. My name was actually highlighted on a list that the security had. They asked me all the usual questions at first.... did I pack my bags, did anyone give me anything to carry etc. But they also kept asking me why I came to Israel to study. I guess my answer of "because I wanted to" wasn't satisfactory the first time. She kept asking and I kept giving her same answer, eventually she conceded I guess. She then started asking me what I was studying and how I found the program. I am not sure what her goal was... was she tryna break me down or something? Then the question that took the cake was," do I know anyone from countries surrounding Israel that live in Israel?" I must really be suspicious....lol. No lady I actually didn't know anyone in Israel until I moved here. Now can I go? I didn't really ask to go, I was thinking it. I was hungry and frustrated by this point and I still had to check in. She did let me go on to the next counter but told me I had to be at the gate at 10:25 for an additional security check. She took my cellphone number and the tag info for my checked luggage.
I checked in and then I went to use the restroom before going through the Charles De Gaulle Airport security. Well there was a military officer at the bathroom doors. He wouldn't even let me take my carry on bags into the bathroom. I had to take what I needed out and leave them at the door. SMH!
Anyway so I go through airport security and then an EL AL security guy meets me at the gate and takes me down to this cold dark room to search my stuff. I guess I should be appreciative that this time I was escorting all of my belongings to be searched. Anyway so after he went through everything in my bags and asked about all of my electronics he took me back to the gate. I was starving by this point and my flight had already started boarding so he was like go ahead and board. I said no I need to get something to eat and he told me I couldn't because I'd already gone through security. I guess he could see the frustration on my face because he went and talk to another lady and then he came back and said I could go but he'd have to escort me. I felt like a 5 year old, being escorted and feeling like I had to rush because I knew my flight was now boarding. All of the additional security checks took up all of my spare time in the airport. So annoying. Oh did I mention that the jetway and gate was covered by the army guys with guns as well?!
I was frustrated and none of it really makes sense to me. I guess it's cause I don't come from a country where someone is always trying to attack us. I felt like some of the extra checks and security measures in place were over kill. I feel like airport security has been trained and increased enough that all that extra stuff was a bit much.... but that's just me. Like I said maybe if I were Israeli and grew up here I would appreciate it who knows.
This trip has increased the airlines on my do not fly list. 1) Spirit Airlines 2) Bahamasair 3) El Al
The irony in all of this security is that it's really a false sense of security. It's just not possible to keep us 100% safe. Humans are unpredictable.... I woke up on my flight somewhere between Paris and Tel Aviv to 2 men on my flight fighting. They were yelling in each other's face about to get physical. There were a few people in the seats around us trying to calm them down and then a flight attendant came by too. Finally they dropped it and got back in their seats.
The flight went from rowdy passengers to freaky. The couple next to me decided that they wanted to get a lil freaky on the plane. I woke up right before we landed and the lady next to me has he leg propped up on the seat in front of her and the man has his hands between her legs massaging her va-jay-jay..... I was so shocked to see this. I just closed my eyes and tried to go back to sleep. LOL
So anyway now we've finally landed I go through passport control and then to baggage claim.... surprise surprise my bag's not there. So I went to the El Al counter and the lady asks my name and says oh yea I know about this. Because we had to do the extra check on you when your bag was transferred to us there wasn't enough time for us to check it before the flight left so it didn't make the flight. GRRRRRR. She took my info and said when it arrived in Israel they'd bring it to me. So I gave her my address and phone number and left the airport. At that point I was so tired and hungry I just wanted to get home take a shower and eat. I wanted to put this trip behind me. It was one helluva journey and I was exhausted and sick of thinking about it. Time to move on.
The trip is now behind me. I am finally getting over my jet lag. I feel like a whole person again. I've learned my lesson on airlines to use in the future and I will not let the journey tarnish my memories from my trip and the reason I was there.
Since 9/11 air travel has completely changed around the world. Security in air travel has become more and more strict. We now have the 3-1-1 rule for liquids, gels, etc that we can carry on the plane. There are air marshalls on flights now. Increased security in airports. In Paris I even saw the military walking around the airport with M-16s.
In Paris I got off my American Airlines flight and had to go check in with El Al (the Israeli airline). The counter was surrounded by soldiers with guns. This was kinda weird. No other counter in the airport had this.
I was flagged by El Al again so they questioned me at the counter when I went to check in and then they had to search me again. My name was actually highlighted on a list that the security had. They asked me all the usual questions at first.... did I pack my bags, did anyone give me anything to carry etc. But they also kept asking me why I came to Israel to study. I guess my answer of "because I wanted to" wasn't satisfactory the first time. She kept asking and I kept giving her same answer, eventually she conceded I guess. She then started asking me what I was studying and how I found the program. I am not sure what her goal was... was she tryna break me down or something? Then the question that took the cake was," do I know anyone from countries surrounding Israel that live in Israel?" I must really be suspicious....lol. No lady I actually didn't know anyone in Israel until I moved here. Now can I go? I didn't really ask to go, I was thinking it. I was hungry and frustrated by this point and I still had to check in. She did let me go on to the next counter but told me I had to be at the gate at 10:25 for an additional security check. She took my cellphone number and the tag info for my checked luggage.
I checked in and then I went to use the restroom before going through the Charles De Gaulle Airport security. Well there was a military officer at the bathroom doors. He wouldn't even let me take my carry on bags into the bathroom. I had to take what I needed out and leave them at the door. SMH!
Anyway so I go through airport security and then an EL AL security guy meets me at the gate and takes me down to this cold dark room to search my stuff. I guess I should be appreciative that this time I was escorting all of my belongings to be searched. Anyway so after he went through everything in my bags and asked about all of my electronics he took me back to the gate. I was starving by this point and my flight had already started boarding so he was like go ahead and board. I said no I need to get something to eat and he told me I couldn't because I'd already gone through security. I guess he could see the frustration on my face because he went and talk to another lady and then he came back and said I could go but he'd have to escort me. I felt like a 5 year old, being escorted and feeling like I had to rush because I knew my flight was now boarding. All of the additional security checks took up all of my spare time in the airport. So annoying. Oh did I mention that the jetway and gate was covered by the army guys with guns as well?!
I was frustrated and none of it really makes sense to me. I guess it's cause I don't come from a country where someone is always trying to attack us. I felt like some of the extra checks and security measures in place were over kill. I feel like airport security has been trained and increased enough that all that extra stuff was a bit much.... but that's just me. Like I said maybe if I were Israeli and grew up here I would appreciate it who knows.
This trip has increased the airlines on my do not fly list. 1) Spirit Airlines 2) Bahamasair 3) El Al
The irony in all of this security is that it's really a false sense of security. It's just not possible to keep us 100% safe. Humans are unpredictable.... I woke up on my flight somewhere between Paris and Tel Aviv to 2 men on my flight fighting. They were yelling in each other's face about to get physical. There were a few people in the seats around us trying to calm them down and then a flight attendant came by too. Finally they dropped it and got back in their seats.
The flight went from rowdy passengers to freaky. The couple next to me decided that they wanted to get a lil freaky on the plane. I woke up right before we landed and the lady next to me has he leg propped up on the seat in front of her and the man has his hands between her legs massaging her va-jay-jay..... I was so shocked to see this. I just closed my eyes and tried to go back to sleep. LOL
So anyway now we've finally landed I go through passport control and then to baggage claim.... surprise surprise my bag's not there. So I went to the El Al counter and the lady asks my name and says oh yea I know about this. Because we had to do the extra check on you when your bag was transferred to us there wasn't enough time for us to check it before the flight left so it didn't make the flight. GRRRRRR. She took my info and said when it arrived in Israel they'd bring it to me. So I gave her my address and phone number and left the airport. At that point I was so tired and hungry I just wanted to get home take a shower and eat. I wanted to put this trip behind me. It was one helluva journey and I was exhausted and sick of thinking about it. Time to move on.
The trip is now behind me. I am finally getting over my jet lag. I feel like a whole person again. I've learned my lesson on airlines to use in the future and I will not let the journey tarnish my memories from my trip and the reason I was there.
Comments
Post a Comment