You can take me outta the sweats but you can't take the tomboy outta me!

I had a mini pity party for myself the other night. I'm 27 now and I realized a larger percentage of the people I know from college and friends are now married, engaged, or parents. OR at the very least are in a relationship. I'm none of these. I'm so single I don't even have a regular cuddle buddy. LOL (Actually to be honest more like, sad)

Mind you I do have single friends. I guess its that old adage, when you're single you feel like all of your friends are married  etc and vice versa. But I think I'm just at that age when the switch begins to happen and all of your friends are getting married and having babies. I'm not really ready to get married just yet, but it'd be nice to meet a good guy and be in a relationship again. Oh well these things can't be rushed....

So during my pity party I started thinking about me and how I present myself to the world and what I attract to myself. Then I got to thinking about being a tomboy and is that off putting to men? Do guys like girly girls? Is the fact that I'm a football loving/sports loving, active girl totally unattractive? I don't know if it is or not, but I'm not gonna change just to find a guy. It seems it's worked before so the right guy will just have to accept this part of me in the future.

I've always been a bit of a tomboy for as long as I can remember. I never grew out of it. It's funny so much has changed through out the years and yet at the same time some things will never change.

It's funny for as long as I can remember, I've just never been a girly girl. As a toddler I used to walk on my tippy toes so my aunt nicknamed me Ballerina. They thought I'd be a ballerina... well they were wrong! I chose Horseback riding to ballet. I played soccer and basketball, ran track, was in the adventure club.... all of these activities that boys typically did.

I'd run around our neighborhood bare foot, ride my bike or roller blade outside with the boys in the streets. I climbed trees and loved to climb on to the roof of our house. There were fewer girls in my neighborhood growing up so we had to learn to hang with the boys. During the summer I'd be inside reading, or running the streets or riding my bike around.

I hated dresses. My mom would always buy me these super girly dresses for church for holidays and I hated wearing them. She got so frustrated with me that she'd just give me money and tell me to buy what I wanted. So I actually started shopping in the boys' section. As a teenager Aaliyah was pretty popular and she made the tomboy look kinda sexy. So I wore baggy jeans with boxers and a tight shirt. I had cornrows, overalls, very rarely did I wear a skirt or dress, (outside of my school uniform).

I actually remember when I was in boarding school, before leaving to fly back to school my mom and I were out. She'd taken me out for breakfast before I had to leave and we ran into a guy she knew and he asked who I was. She said this is her daughter. He looked kind of confused because he thought she had a son. I guess when you grow up being called Andi, you dress like a boy and someone often hears your mother saying she has to pick her kid up from soccer or basketball or something like that....what else do you expect huh?

When I went to college I owned sweat pants galore, with tennis shoes to match. My best friend Tiana and anyone that knew me then can attest to this. Jeans and t-shirts or sweats was my college staple my freshman year. Much to Tiana's dismay! So much so that she made it her mission to expand my wardrobe beyond the colors blue, black, and gray and get me into skirts and dresses. She even got me to wear makeup and get my hair done regularly.

Before that I wore a ponytail just about EVERYDAY! My aunts would beg me to go to the salon to get my hair and nails done, to get dolled up and look like a girl. I really had no interest. Unless it was a special occasion/holiday I was quite fine in jeans with my ponytail. Anyone that's met me since sophomore/junior year of college may find this quite difficult to believe.

I wear dresses pretty often and I actually own skirts, not too many, but I do own them now and wear them on occasion. My wardrobe is now bright and colorful. I rarely have a ponytail. I LOVE heels now, the higher the better! I am no longer deathly afraid of makeup and can manage to apply it without professional help. On the outside one might even believe I'm a girly girl.

NOT SO FAST! I may dress more feminine now, but trust and believe this chick still loves the outdoors. I love roaming the outdoors with my Boxer Axel. I like climbing things, being barefoot, and playing sports. I prefer beer to wine. I am quite happy sitting in a sports bar watching football on Sundays and if not at a bar on the couch watching my beloved Falcons!

I get pretty passionate about my sports games. In fact this past weekend I punched a guy in the face several times for saying Geaux Tigers, during the SEC Championship game versus UGA. Granted I'd warned him and he was a good sport about the fact and actually wanted me to punch him, nevertheless I did it cause he pissed me off. LOL! I'm mildly aggressive at times too.

I'm still a tomboy just with a little more girly finesse. It's strange how who we are as a kid is pretty much who we are as an adult, only slightly more educated and evolved. You can take me outta the sweats but you can't take the tomboy outta me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day!

C'est la vie in Tel Aviv!

Stress Kills!