75 Years! It's her Platinum Jubilee!

I headed back to TLV the day after my grammy's 75th birthday and for the 1st time in over a decade I finally got to spend her birthday with her! It was a nice feeling to be home with her.

March 3, 1937 my Grammy was born! She's affectionately nicknamed Wally after Wally Simpson. She's the awesomest Grammy ever! My grandmother and I may be closer that my mother and I in some respects. I will say that in her old age and her illness she has become quite ornery, but regardless I love her all the same.

My Grammy treats me as if I am her own, she actually calls me her child, she's taken care of me my whole life. She is the one person I know I can tell anything to and she will not judge me. She is my biggest cheerleader and therefore my biggest motivator.

My Grammy inspires me in ways I didn't even really realize until I was reflecting about her and what she means to me on her birthday. I think it's because of my Grammy that I have always wanted to help others. I remember as a child my Grammy would hold a weekly meet up for kids in Augusta street (where my mum grew up) on Saturday mornings. This is where my family grew up, and some still live, it's a poorer neighborhood, but being in Augusta street, is such a big part of the lives of us kids, because it's where our parents grew up and they made sure we knew it and never forget it. We probably went to the house in Augusta Street daily as a kid.

She'd talk to the kids in those meetings about respecting God, encourage them to do well in school and be a confidante for them when they needed it. I'd go along to those meetings with her and I remember so vividly how much those kids looked forward to seeing Ms. Wally. They enjoyed spending their Saturday mornings with her because she showed them love and made them feel worthy. The love she expressed and shared with me on a daily basis these kids only got one morning a week. For them it was something to look forward to where I took it for granted that I had such great love and encouragement always.

That's my Grammy though, she was always helping the kids around her. I remember in the summer all the kids in our neighborhood would call or come over to our house to ask my Grammy to help them find summer jobs. And without fail my Grammy would do any and everything in her power to help these kids.

She's instilled in me by example how important it is to give back and help those less fortunate. She wasn't a social worker or a counselor or anything of the sort. She was one woman with the capacity to love and she wanted to share it with anyone that needed her love and encouragement. Growing up with that kind of energy, I guess it's no surprise now that I want to help others in need. My approach may be a little different to my grandmother's, but the seed was surely planted because of her.

In the year of her platinum jubilee I continue to honor my grandmother and I can only hope and pray that I will continue to make her proud. This year I will complete my master's degree and health providing, my Grammy will make her 1st trip to Israel to see me graduate! A trip that I know she's wanted to make for years and now she has another reason to make it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day!

C'est la vie in Tel Aviv!

Stress Kills!