Jewloween (Purim 2012)
The first week I got back to Tel Aviv it was Purim. Which was pretty awesome. It's like the Jewish/Israeli version of Halloween, Jewloween. Seen as I missed Halloween, because it's not really celebrated here, I went all out for Purim. I was not really big into Halloween as a kid, but as an adult I am totally into dressing up and having a good time. I call Halloween the day that a girl gets a pass to be as "slutty" as she wants to be without judgment. :)
With this in mind I pre-ordered like 3 costumes before I went home. All similarly themed but different none the less. I got a swat costume, a sailor/navy dress, and an army dress. This Purim I wore 2 of 3 of my costumes so it's a good thing I bought so many! ;) At Purim people dress up and consume copious amounts of Alcohol, just like Halloween.
For the 1st party I went to an all you can drink party for the equivalent of about $8! Great deal I know. It was fun. It was at the apartment's of one of my classmates. I went with my roommate Shoshana and Sasha met me there. SN: Sasha and I went on our 1st date 2 days before this night. He's a guy I was introduced to through my classmate Lauren. So since this night we've seen each other a few times and it's now been about a month. He's a nice guy, we have fun together.... so we'll see where it goes. I have gotten my first taste of dating in Israel. :-)
The next day I went to a day party at another classmate's house. It was a good time. Had some food on her rooftop in the sunshine and then we left and walked around Tel Aviv a bit, found an impromptu group of musicians jamming by the beach, and then went and had coffee at my classmate Katrin's place. I then left there and hopped on a scooter with a guy who's name I don't even know and he dropped me home. Zipping through the streets of Tel Aviv on the back of a scooter with a guy you don't know... sounds risky when I say it out loud, but truly I felt fine, I wouldn't have done it if I felt in the least bit unsafe.
So back to Purim....I also noticed that here for Purim it seems perfectly acceptable and almost the standard that men cross dress. I saw way more men dressed as women or some feminine character than I saw super heroes, or policemen, etc as I am used to. I did see a guy painted in black paint dressed as Usain Bolt.... I wasn't quite sure if this was PC or not, but in my intoxicated state I don't think it was an appropriate time to discuss political correctness with another drunk person.
Anyway Purim was fun and a great replacement for Halloween. I am happy I got to experience it. Here is a short video I found that briefly explains Purim and also ends with a little sing-along of all the places in the world you can find Jews and why we shouldn't be surprised when you see a non-white Jewish person. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehgkBldSbQ0
With this in mind I pre-ordered like 3 costumes before I went home. All similarly themed but different none the less. I got a swat costume, a sailor/navy dress, and an army dress. This Purim I wore 2 of 3 of my costumes so it's a good thing I bought so many! ;) At Purim people dress up and consume copious amounts of Alcohol, just like Halloween.
For the 1st party I went to an all you can drink party for the equivalent of about $8! Great deal I know. It was fun. It was at the apartment's of one of my classmates. I went with my roommate Shoshana and Sasha met me there. SN: Sasha and I went on our 1st date 2 days before this night. He's a guy I was introduced to through my classmate Lauren. So since this night we've seen each other a few times and it's now been about a month. He's a nice guy, we have fun together.... so we'll see where it goes. I have gotten my first taste of dating in Israel. :-)
The next day I went to a day party at another classmate's house. It was a good time. Had some food on her rooftop in the sunshine and then we left and walked around Tel Aviv a bit, found an impromptu group of musicians jamming by the beach, and then went and had coffee at my classmate Katrin's place. I then left there and hopped on a scooter with a guy who's name I don't even know and he dropped me home. Zipping through the streets of Tel Aviv on the back of a scooter with a guy you don't know... sounds risky when I say it out loud, but truly I felt fine, I wouldn't have done it if I felt in the least bit unsafe.
So back to Purim....I also noticed that here for Purim it seems perfectly acceptable and almost the standard that men cross dress. I saw way more men dressed as women or some feminine character than I saw super heroes, or policemen, etc as I am used to. I did see a guy painted in black paint dressed as Usain Bolt.... I wasn't quite sure if this was PC or not, but in my intoxicated state I don't think it was an appropriate time to discuss political correctness with another drunk person.
Anyway Purim was fun and a great replacement for Halloween. I am happy I got to experience it. Here is a short video I found that briefly explains Purim and also ends with a little sing-along of all the places in the world you can find Jews and why we shouldn't be surprised when you see a non-white Jewish person. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehgkBldSbQ0
![]() |
| All dressed in my SWAT costume and ready to make some arrests! ;-) |
![]() |
| Me with Sasha |
![]() |
| Me in my 2nd costume... Sailor Girl! :) |



Comments
Post a Comment