Nappturelle!!!

I am literally less than 2 inches away from being completely natural!!! It's so exciting on one hand, but totally scary on the other. I sort of fell into the natural transition on a whim one day in August 2010. During pretty much the entirety of my transition I just pressed my hair so nobody could really tell the difference between my natural hair and my relaxer unless they asked.  Well now that I am one trim away from completely natural hair it's harder and harder to keep my hair pressed straight for very long. Also as I mentioned before, living in Israel, I've not really found anyone that can press my hair and though I am getting much better at pressing my own hair, I am FAR from professional. Plus I just hate spending an hour of my life pressing my hair, it's not the most enjoyable use of my time if you know what I mean.

Plus I feel like part of the joy of having natural hair is embracing the curls. I'm excited about my curls! I'm a girl who has not seen my hair in it's natural state since I was about 10 years old, so I had no idea what my natural curl pattern was like. I have been pleasantly surprised by how truly curly my hair actually is. However though curly when wet once dry it's another story.... so this is my new challenge... finding the right products that work with my hair and that can keep my curl definition.

So long story short I am finally beginning to figure out how to work with my natural hair and texture without relying on heat/pressing it. It's been a bit frustrating, but given that summer is fast approaching I must get on this ASAP! My friend Michelle came to visit me and schooled me on the bantu knot out on Sunday. So all week I have been rocking the 'fro courtesy of bantu knotting my hair up at night. May I add that 4 different women saw me today and told me I was beautiful! Part of embracing my natural hair and styling it is also redefining my idea of beautiful. I'm not only beautiful when I have silky, straight, flowing hair, I am also beautiful with a curly fro or a frohawk, etc!

I love the curls I love the 'fro, but boy were those knots a bit difficult for me to get my fingers around. Michelle did them for me on Sunday night and I thought ok this is easy enough for me to do on my own. Well last night as I was frustrated to no end because I couldn't get them and ready to just wash my hair and press it, something came over me and said DON'T GIVE UP! And well I didn't and I eventually figured out how to do it, after watching like 3 different youtube videos for inspiration of course. LOL!

I just got done knotting my hair up tonight and got to thinking how I wish I could just wash my hair it stay curly and not have to do all of this. Isn't your natural hair supposed to be easier to work with?! LOL! Apparently not! This is work, but the journey continues and with each passing month and inch I begin to take control of my hair. I am relinquishing my dependency on a salon and learning to take care of and style my own hair. For me this is quite liberating! This is not something I ever thought I'd be doing or capable of doing. But alas here I am doing it and loving it!!! :-) #HYFR

'frotastic and loving it! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day!

C'est la vie in Tel Aviv!

Stress Kills!