Chag Sameach! (Happy Holidays)
Chag Sameach - Happy Holidays in Hebrew. A phrase I've learned in the past week and could've used almost everyday since being here. I've been in Israel a little over a week now and there have been 2 holidays already. All religious holidays here are observed. This is definitely an adjustment/culture shock. Usually the only time things close down in the States is Christmas and maybe Easter, and even then you can always find stores open. Here the sabbath or Shabbat as it's called in Hebrew and religious holidays everything closes. Here people actually get their days of rest!
Last weekend was Yom Kippur, this is probably the biggest Jewish holiday. It's the day of atonement. For some Jewish people this may be the only day of the year they go to synagogue, but this holiday is very important to Jews. I'm not sure if there is really an equivalent to this holiday in Christianity. It's where you repent for your sins to God and ask for forgiveness. During this holiday you fast, no food or water, and you aren't allowed to bathe, as well as some other restrictions that I can't remember. Usually breaking the fast is a special family occasion. I didn't fast or celebrate Yom Kippur with my roommates but I respect that it's a day of forgiveness and a spiritually moving day.
I've been to High Holiday services before and it was a bit intense and given this was during my 1st few days here I wasn't really up to attending services. My roommates were kind enough to invite me along though and I appreciated that.
The holiday currently being celebrated through next week is Sukkot. Beginning today at sundown through next week Thursday. This means that the only days anything will be open in the next week are half day on Friday, all day Sunday and possibly Monday and Tuesday, maybe. Sukkot is the Jewish thanksgiving. During this holiday you're supposed to build a sukkah outside, which is like a hut. It's a walled structure covered with schach (plant material such as tree branches or bamboo shoots). The sukkah is supposed to represent the type of fragile dwellings in which the Israelites dwelt during their 40 years of travel in the desert after the Exodus from slavery in Egypt.
Prior to this week I think I'd seen a sukkah once. This week I've seen 2! There's one built outside the mall and then this morning the people in our complex built a sukkah right in front of our apartment with their kids.
Chag Sameach! :)
Last weekend was Yom Kippur, this is probably the biggest Jewish holiday. It's the day of atonement. For some Jewish people this may be the only day of the year they go to synagogue, but this holiday is very important to Jews. I'm not sure if there is really an equivalent to this holiday in Christianity. It's where you repent for your sins to God and ask for forgiveness. During this holiday you fast, no food or water, and you aren't allowed to bathe, as well as some other restrictions that I can't remember. Usually breaking the fast is a special family occasion. I didn't fast or celebrate Yom Kippur with my roommates but I respect that it's a day of forgiveness and a spiritually moving day.
I've been to High Holiday services before and it was a bit intense and given this was during my 1st few days here I wasn't really up to attending services. My roommates were kind enough to invite me along though and I appreciated that.
The holiday currently being celebrated through next week is Sukkot. Beginning today at sundown through next week Thursday. This means that the only days anything will be open in the next week are half day on Friday, all day Sunday and possibly Monday and Tuesday, maybe. Sukkot is the Jewish thanksgiving. During this holiday you're supposed to build a sukkah outside, which is like a hut. It's a walled structure covered with schach (plant material such as tree branches or bamboo shoots). The sukkah is supposed to represent the type of fragile dwellings in which the Israelites dwelt during their 40 years of travel in the desert after the Exodus from slavery in Egypt.
Prior to this week I think I'd seen a sukkah once. This week I've seen 2! There's one built outside the mall and then this morning the people in our complex built a sukkah right in front of our apartment with their kids.
The Sukkah in our yard looks more like a tent....
Given that there have been so many holidays since I've been here it makes getting things done a little difficult, but for the most part I've gotten the important things together. Thankfully my bed arrived before all of the holidays! :) We went to the grocery store today to stock up on food for the next few days and we even planned for our first Shabbat dinner! Friday night we're all gonna have dinner together! Roommate bonding! :) Gatta make the most of all of these days stuck in the house! Chag Sameach! :)
Comments
Post a Comment