The most violent element in society is ignorance!
Emma Goldman said that the most violent element in society is ignorance. She's right because I wanted to slap the hell out of that ignorant ass man tonight. His ignorance definately brought out the violent side of me! LOL! No but seriously most animosity is rooted in ignorance.
So tonight I was walking to the grocery store near our apartment and on my way this man turns to me and asks if I want a job cleaning houses? I was immediately stunned by this question. I'm working on my 3rd degree here and the audacity of this man to assume that because I am black, I must be a maid is offensive! I told him no and he then asks me if I am Ethiopian. Strike fucking 2 sir....not all black people are Ethiopians! I said no I'm from the Bahamas. He asks where is that is that in Africa? Umm no, it's in the Caribbean, where he then assumes I mean Columbia. At this point I am thinking to myself he's only making matters worse and further displaying his ignorance. I said no it's near Florida in the United States. He then assumes I'm American at this point I just give up.
He then asks am I working for a family? I live in a pretty nice part of Northern Tel Aviv, so I guess he assumes that because Black people don't really live around here the only possible reason for me being here is I must be a maid. I told him no I was going to University here. He then proceeds to ask me if I would teach him English. Are you fucking kidding me now?! Ok really where is Ashton Kutcher, I am being punked! I mean come on.... after you have thoroughly offended me you have the audacity to ask me to turn around and help you?! Ummm NO WAY! Hell NO! I said no and started to walk away.
He then asks me to take his number and when's my birthday because he wants to surprise me. At that point I just had to get the hell outta there. It was going from bad to worse. You knew enough English to offend me, then you ask me to teach you English, and then you hit on me?! Really this is a joke right?! That didn't just happen to me?! As I'm walking away he says I hope to hear from you. All I could think is I hope I never see you again or anyone like you that is ignorant enough to think that all Black people must me maids!
I'm still stunned by the sheer ignorance of the situation tonight. Some people are just absolutely ridiculous! There are racist and ignorant people everywhere. Lesson learned. However I try to be as tolerant as possible with everybody. I think part of the reason I didn't full on SPAZ on that man was one because I have manners, but 2 I partially thought of it as some sort of learning experience for him. My mom always used to say you have to show people, better than you can tell them. She said the same thing to me tonight when I called her to tell her what happened. I guess in standing with this man for longer than 2 seconds and not resorting to violence I was subconsciously hoping to do just that. I was trying to enlighten this man. No I am not Ethiopian and not all Black people are Ethiopian or African, where the Bahamas was and that I am an educated Black woman that aspires to be more than just another maid in someones house. I am more than what you think of my skin color. I speak proper English and I am proud of who I am and where I come from and though you may be an ignorant asshole that may not think much of me and people that look like me I can show you better than I can tell you. I will carry myself with dignity and grace and I will not dignify your insults and prejudices by acting like you. I will show restraint!
When you know better you do better. So hopefully I taught him a little something tonight and next time, just maybe, he'll think before opening his mouth to say some ignorant shit to someone else.

Comments
Post a Comment