October Road

October's always bittersweet for me. It's a month before my birthday, which is kinda exciting, it's my brother's birthday and Halloween of course, but it's not all sweet! In recent years October has been marked with a lot of death. It marks the anniversay of the death of Grandpa Maynard (my best friend's granddad), Lia Lashley ( a girl I grew up with), Andy Gathers ( A friend I made in Atlanta) and the worst feeling of all it's the anniversary of the death of my beloved Uncle Sterling! Tomorrow makes 5 years since he died and every year I can't help but relive the pain all over again!

I can't express how much I miss him! Sometimes I still can't believe he's really not here anymore. When I'm at home for holidays sometimes I still wish he'd walk through the door or I could hear his voice again. And then I think about how quickly the past 5 years have flown by and how much he's not gotten to see. 5 years of not seeing his 2 sons grow up. 5 years of not seeing his nieces and nephews grow up. 5 years of no more fun family gatherings, because it's just not the same anymore without him. 5 years seems like such a long time and yet I remember the day my mom called to tell me he'd died like it was yesterday!

He was all of the kids favorite uncle! He would always give us beer and told us it killed the worms! LOL! He's the reason I love Heineken so much. He always had fun! He taught us all that you can work hard, but to play hard too! Life was meant to be lived and we needed to enjoy it to the fullest.

Tonight's a hard night and tomorrow's gonna be a hard day, but I know that he's so proud of the woman that I'm growing into and that he's somewhere smiling down on us.

I will say though that of all the things I loved about my uncle I miss his smile the most. He had the best smile! He knew how to enjoy himself despite not being wealthy. So tomorrow I'm gonna sit somewhere with a cold Heineken and remember his smile!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day!

C'est la vie in Tel Aviv!

Stress Kills!